Sometimes you just can’t replace filo pastry BUT you can replace the meat with some good quality premium beef mince along with added hidden veggies and spices. These easy sausage rolls are great as a snack or main dinner dish. Swap the mince for pork or chicken to create variety and flavour.
600g premium beef mince
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, diced
Small handful parsley, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 courgette, grated
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup breadcumbs
One pack filo pastry (375g)
Dash of milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees on fan bake and pre-line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the beef mince, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until it turns into a big ball.
- Place the mince mixture into a large bowl and add the grated carrots, courgette, parsley, onion and garlic. Mix to combine.
- Whisk the other egg and milk together in a small bowl. Lay out the filo sheets (5 sheets at a time) on lightly brush with the egg and milk mixture.
- Place the mince mixture evenly in the middle of the filo sheets and then roll up. Do this with all sheets. Brush the outside of the filo pastry with the egg and milk mixture.
- Place in oven for 20-25 minutes until nice and cooked. Serve with your favourite tomato chutney and a plate of greens!