Anzac Day is a day to say thank you in remembrance of the brave men and women that made the ultimate sacrifice for our countries.
You can enjoy a healthy treat this Anzac Day,with these delicious and moorish biscuits that are made without butter or any added sugar!
This healthy version substitutes butter for some heart healthy olive oil; and replaces the sweetness with some natural honey and vanilla. At the time of the First World War, eggs were scarce and would also cause the biscuits to spoil when shipped such long distances so these have been made without eggs. Sugar Free and Dairy Free!
Healthy Anzac Day Biscuits
1 ½ whole rolled oats
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup flaked or chopped almonds
2½ Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC.
- In a blender, combine the oats, coconut, almonds, oil, honey and vanilla for 30 seconds. Add the water and process again for 15 seconds.
- Using wet hands,take a small amount of dough and shape into a ball. The recipe should make around 20 small cookies.
- Place the cookies onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and flatten down slightly, ensuring there is enough room for spreading. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before sharing. These will keep in an airtight container for 5 days. Eat with a cup of coffee or tea!