This meal took me 15 minutes to whip up with less then 10 ingredients! I made the pesto from scratch using our pesto recipe . This is a family friendly recipe, can be gluten free if you swap the pasta for a gluten free alternative and vegetarian (swap the chicken for edamame beans).
Chicken Pesto Pasta
450gm chicken breast/ thighs, sliced into small chunks
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
400g wholewheat pasta (or other GF option like quinoa or buckwheat)
4 handfuls of spinach
2 cups sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup basil pesto
Salt/ pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken and mushrooms.
- Cook on low- medium heat until the chicken is cooked through. In the meantime, cook the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Add the spinach to the chicken, stir to combine for 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta then add into the pan with the chicken. Pour in the basil pesto and mix to combine.
- Garnish with basil leaves and/ or a bit of grated cheese.