This recipe was inspired by my Oma (grandmother) who use to feed us chicken soup nearly every lunch meal. It was made perfectly which surpriseingly requires minimal effort. Simmering the whole chicken in some stock with a little bit of apple cider vinegar draws out all the good nutrients from the chicken bones. This is great for when you are feeling sick, cold or have a funny gut!
Chicken Noodle Soup
1 whole free range organic chicken (1.2kgs)
4 litres of chicken stock or broth
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 carrots, grated
1 onion, chopped finely
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 celery, stalks chopped finely
1 leek, chopped finely
200gm wholemeal spaghetti (gluten free is another option)
Large handful of parsley, chopped finely
1 tsp salt/ pepper
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat with the olive oil. Saute the onions for approx 3-4 minutes until slightly brown.
- Add in the whole chicken, stock, apple cider vinegar, leeks and celery. Leave to simmer on low heat for approx 1 1/2 hours until chicken is cooked.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate. Add in the spaghetti and carrots. Simmer for another 15 minutes (until pasta is cooked).
- Remove the meat and skin from the chicken and place back into the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix to combine then serve in soup bowls and garnish with parsley. Freeze for future use in small containers or store in fridge for next few days.