A classic kiwi dish, that takes delicious smoked fish to make it even more delicious in a pie. Note – Leave out cheese if you have been advised to follow a GAPS diet.
Smoked Fish Pie
1 good sized smoked fish (or 2x 450 gram cans) shredded
Good handful of parsley, chopped finely
1/2 red onion, chopped
- For the White Sauce
1 small/medium head of cauliflower (approx. 4 cups), boiled
1 cup of cashews, soaked in boiling water for an hour
1-2 cloves of garlic
Splash of organic coconut milk (no additives) or water from the vegetables
1 cup of cheese, grated (if not following GAPS)
- For the Mash
4 large carrots
1 medium pumpkin
Butter to taste
- Soak cashews, then chop and boil the carrot and pumpkin in one pot and cauli in another.
- While that boils pull apart your smoked fish OR strain and put your canned fish into your baking dish. Add the garlic and parsley.
- Strain the water off the cashews and cauliflower and blend together with the garlic, salt, pepper, and cheese. Pour sauce over the fish mix and work in.
- Mash the carrot and pumpkin with butter and salt to taste.
- Top the fish mix with the mash and bake for around 30 mins till golden