A meatball recipe that rivals that of your favourite Italian restaurant! These meatballs always come out amazingly tender, deliciously flavourful, never dry and they’re always sure to impress! Serve with wholemeal/ gluten free pasta or zucchini noodles as a low carb alternative.
Family Favourite Meatballs
1.5 cup fresh bread crumbs (can use GF breadcrumbs to make recipe GF)
3/4 cup whole milk, then more if needed (coconut/ oat or almond as a dairy free alternative)
500g pork mince
500g premium beef mince
2 large eggs
1/2 cup finely minced yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp)
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
1 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese or tasty cheese
1 large jar of passata sauce (good quality)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl stir together bread crumbs and milk while adding more milk 1 Tbsp at a time to moisten bread fully. Let rest while you prep ingredients (or at least 5 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C on fan bake and pre-line a tray with baking paper.
- To breadcrumb mixture add beef, pork, eggs, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, oregano, parmesan and season over top of ingredients evenly with salt and pepper.
- Gently toss mixture and break meat up with fingertips until ingredients are evenly mixed. Shape mixture with greased hands into even size meatballs, about 1 1/4-inches each.
- Place formed meatballs on baking sheets, fitting about 20 per each and spacing evenly apart. Bake in upper and lower third of oven 20-25 minutes until brown on the outside.
- Simmer the passata sauce in a large saucepan with the tomato paste until warm.
- Remove the meatballs and add to passata sauce then simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve on wholemeal/ GF or zucchini pasta with some extra greens. Season to taste.