Quick, easy and tasty family dish that even your kids won’t notice the hidden vegetables. This meal is full of fibre, protein, anti-inflammatory properties, fatty acids and iron. Keto Friendly, Sugar Free and Gluten Free.
600-700gm premium beef mince
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
500g pasata sauce
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
Black pepper, to taste
4 medium zucchini, sliced half a cm thick
1 1/2 cups ricotta
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt. When cooked drain in colander to remove any fat.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low for at least 30-40 minutes, covered. Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini into half cm thick slices, add lightly salt and set aside or 10 minutes. Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture. After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Preheat a gas grill or grill pan to medium high, and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until slightly browned. Place on paper towels to soak any excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
- In a 20cm x 30cm casserole dish, spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up.
- The last layer top with remaining zucchini and sauce, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover the foil and bake 20 minutes (to dry up the sauce) then place the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake until melted, 10 minutes.