Afghans have to be one of my favourite biscuits of all time! I love the crunchy texture and the chocolate goodness! You can swap out some ingredients in here to make it completely gluten free (wholemeal flour for almond meal).
150g butter, melted
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 cup wholemeal flour (you can swap for almond meal or GF flour)
1 cup spelt flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2 cups cornflakes
- For the Icing
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tbsp cocoa powder
Walnuts to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Melt the butter and whisk the sugar into the butter until nice and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients together then add into the butter. Fold in the corn flakes.
- Spoon the mounds onto a baking tray pre-lined with baking paper and gently flatten.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Cool and set on rack.
- To make the icing: place the coconut oil, chocolate chips and cocoa power into a small pot over low heat. Stir together until melted. Drizzle over cookies and garnish with one walnut.