Ever wondered what foods to eat to help achiever healthier skin from the inside out? Here are a few foods to incorporate into your daily diet to assist with getting healthy glowing skin.
1. Organic berries are rich in antioxidants which helps to fight against free radical damage, reduce inflammation and help with skin cell repair. They’re also super tasty and versatile. Add them to your breakfasts, smoothies or pair with some coconut yoghurt.
2. Nuts – specifically walnuts and Brazil nuts. Walnuts are rich in omega 3, a great essential fatty acid and healthy fat which assists with skin cell hydration, cell integrity, structure and repair as well as that plumpness. Brazil nuts are a great source of selenium and by eating 3 a day will provide your daily selenium intake. Selenium is a great mineral that helps antioxidants protect the skin from damage and inflammation.
3. Green leafy veggies are rich in nutrients like iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, vitamins A and C and fibre. They also contain polyphenols which assist with healthy skin by reducing inflammation and redness.
4. Pumpkin seeds are another great source of omega 3, essential fatty acids as well as zinc. Zinc helps with wound healing, skin cell regeneration and to promote collagen formation.
5. Green tea is rich in antioxidants which have anti-inflammatory properties to reduce skin irritation, redness and swelling. It’s also a great antibacterial to kill systemic bacterial infections associated with acne.
Try adding some of these foods into your daily diet by sprinkling nuts and seeds over salads or in your breakfast. Swapping green tea for your coffee or black tea will also help boost your overall antioxidant profile providing a number of anti-inflammatory benefits.
Casey is our in-house Naturopath and specialises in skin health, particularly acne and infant eczema.