These meatballs are made with Italian herbs, and covered in a rich tomato sauce with a mozzarella topping. The dish is finished in the oven which allows the flavours to mingle and develop whilst creating a delicious crispy cheesy topping. Your family will love you for it! Serve on zucchini noodles and a green leafy side salad.
Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles
250-300gm ground premium beef
250-300gm pork mince
3 Tbsp panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 x 700gm jar of organic tomato pasta sauce
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup milk
½ cup diced red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 Tbsp tomato paste
½ cup shredded mozzarella
Handful fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl mix together the ground beef, pork mince, oregano, egg, breadcrumbs and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Divide the beef mixture and form 16 meatballs.
- On a medium heat add onion, garlic, oregano, and cook for 3-4 minutes until soften. Add tomato passata, red wine, mushrooms, and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir through milk.
- Add meatballs to tomato sauce and simmer on medium-low for 8-10 minutes, until cooked through (do not stir the sauce). Turn meatballs halfway through cooking.
- Break the mozzarella into small chunks and distribute evenly over the top of the dish, add sliced mushrooms.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes until mozzarella is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve with sautéed leafy greens or salad on top of zucchini noodles.